Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Amusings

What is amazing? Anything or everything? 
I am alone in the house.
I hear the rain, the quiet rain. It free-falls from gutter to drainpipe just outside the walls.
the sound is nice, but not amazing.

How strange to be 68 
And not clearly remember being 64
Let alone remember yesterday.

I’m reading a really well written book.
I have to go back and reread to remember who the characters are,
but it’s worth it.
If it was a lousy book, I wouldn’t care. I’d just muddle through and maybe not even care to finish.
But I look forward to each chapter.
I read it on the toilet.
My bathroom stays are directly connected to the ability of the author to keep me engaged.
A well written book can really mess up my day even more than mild constipation.

Not long ago I was given a book to read that looked interesting
I was well into it before realizing I had already read it.
It became less interesting.
I read the last few pages just to be done with it.
Again.

I am alone in the house because Deb has gone to help her sister in Nevada
We saw a picture of Peggy’s back after surgery
It looked like a small one rail, railroad track from neck to butt.
The stitch marks were the ties.
Something like that stays with you for a while. 
More vivid than the entire year that I was 64.

Because of the internet, Deb and I can write notes to each other
I have come to prefer communicating via email.
I get to correct stupid things I say before sending.
Once you’ve said it on the phone, you’re pretty much fucked.

I just spent quite a while looking at the last word above.
Such a silly word.
Back in the 50’s Lenny Bruce used to fill an auditorium or concert hall with people and police.
On stage he would scream, “Kill, war, murder, rape, blood, death,” and so on.
Then quietly say to his audience, something like, “Isn’t it amazing how I can stand here and scream these horrible words, yet if I just mention a slang word for the act of making love, I could go to jail? “ He would then shout “Fuck” into the microphone and all the police would storm the stage and triumphantly march him off to jail. 
Although he eventually  died of a heroin overdose on the toilet,
He was a real cobblestone on the road to HBO specials.

I think I could write an amazing haiku right now
But I am too involved to look up the rules on Google.










No comments:

Post a Comment